Monday, October 8, 2012

MyVi memories..

Compact cars rulz!
I used to drive a Suzuki Swift back in the days. 
Its 1000cc engine was the most fuel-efficient that I've come across.
As a matter of fact, the car was way ahead of its time in terms of features. It just lacked the power as it was meant as a city car.
Later, I upgraded it to a Suzuki Jimny 1300cc 4x4 which I had for a good few years before selling it off when hard times hit. 
I was out of a job and could not afford to maintain the car.
Then, it was back to cycling my Raleigh road bike, walking to work, taking the taxi and buses.
To sum it up, the mid-90s was the worst years in my life.
Not only did I put up with double standards and discrimination at the workplace, I also had to deal with assholes who made things really hard.

The MyVi and a Tern Link P9
What goes down must come up
It wasn't until mid-2005 when things got much better and I felt that it was time to give up the Gilera Runner 180SP and my trusty Piaggio Hexagon 150 for a 'real' car.
There weren't much choices for a RM48k pricetag except for the Perodua MyVi.
At that time the national car maker was revamping. 
They were kept under close supervision from Japan.
What you see on the road, is actually a re-branded Toyota.
The origin of the MyVi can be traced along the lines of the Daihatsu Sirion and Toyota Passo.
I ordered the 'EZi' variant - 1,300cc, automatic transmission.
And to make things more comfortable on the road, I added leather seats. Later, to carry more luggage, I purchased a Thule roof rack and a roof box.


My old Gilera

The trusty Piaggio Hexagon

Variety is the spice of life

When I took the keys to the MyVi, my journey to some endless problems began.
The car's windscreen leaked.
Just barely weeks into my ride, I found a puddle of water on the floor mat.
This went on for years and it didn't bother me.
I've had a few minor bumps and grinds with the car, but never a major accident.
One of the plus-factor of the MyVi is the fact that its spacious, fuel-efficient and very nippy.
Spare the 1.3litre engine, its a nice car to drive.
But its also a very basic car. At RM48k, I guess its worth my while.
The MyVi was also cheap to maintain. I spend about RM100 each time I bring it into the workshop for service.


The MyVi with my Jetstream EX

I transport my bike with this car

You can fit two Dahon Jetstreams into the MyVi

All good things must come to an end
For the record, this is the longest car I had in my keeps.
I maintained it and kept a strict regiment in paying its monthly installments for six years.
My original loan was due for seven, but this had to be cut short to make way for a new ride.
Five years is the maximum you can push with a local car. 
Beyond that, things fall apart.


The successor: My new ride next to the retired MyVi
I surrendered the MyVi to my car dealer last week.
It will be sent to a used car dealer somewhere in Banting.
I wish the new owner of this car good luck as it had brought me years of service and had faithfully kept me safe on the road.

1 comment:

goBetong said...


Congratulation. Ah Wai Koh banyak naik lu gaji haiz!. Good to work in an organisation which rewards hard work, well done.