Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 - The year in perspective...


Oh, what a year!

Only two days left before we cross into 2018 and I must say that the last 12 months have been really interesting...
Nearly every quarter, we stayed in the game in terms of our archery pursuit and the range time that I had with my bow and arrow bore the fruits of my labour.

Archery, archery, archery...


I'd say that throughout the year, I have been spending much time in the range with my trad bows. 
In the earlier quarter, I competed in the Kelantan Indoor Open with my Hoyt Tiburon. It's a trad bow and I love how it performed. Later in March, I acquired the Hoyt Satori and the game was about to change. For three months solid, I trained with the new Hoyt Traditional bow and I must say that the results were amazing. I improved my scores at the Thailand Princess Cup barebow competition. Managed to compete in the 1/16 elimination rounds. After coming back from Thailand, I transited to shooting with a barebow riser. 

Sharing a light moment with a fellow Thai archer at the Princess Cup

With Tatrawee Harikul, the main man behind the Princess Cup tournament

The Spigarelli, an awesome riser at the right price

Sending an arrow downrange with the Spiga
There was enough time to train and break-in the bow for the UPM indoor open back in October. The Spiga needs plenty of work to get it competition ready and once its teething problems are taken care of, it performs. 
The UPM event is another notch on our local tournament rankings as Michelle and I did pretty okay. We made to the 1/8 elimination rounds and also improved our scores.

At the indoor archery world cup in Bangkok
The icing on the cake is, of course, December's Indoor Archery World Cup. It was held in Bangkok and we had a swell time shooting with some of the best archers from Asia. Once again, we met our counterparts from Thailand and stood at the shooting line with them. Other highlights including organizing our club's Invitational event and two smaller shoots for our club members.

The Malaysia Day tournament

The 2017 Invitational
 We lost our boy...

Sir Naughty 2004 - 2017
Our dog of 13 years passed away on Dec 22. It was a great loss to us because he was such an awesome companion. Sir Naughty kept our home safe and our hearts warm. Its always been great coming home to a furkid wagging his tail and he did that all through the years and right until the end.

Demobilizing

After 10 years in the Star Media Group, it's time to move on...

My workplace announced that they had to cull 500 people to save 800 jobs. I knew it was time to hit the road and I was happy to do so after being offered a redundancy package. To me, after weighing the pros and cons, it was the right thing to do. My time was over and there's nothing wrong in stepping aside to allow others to progress. From reporter to producer, I have come a long way after nearly three decades on the job. I don't feel at a loss or remorseful stepping out. The real challenge is out there and 2018 has a couple of gigs to offer. 




No comments: